Saturday, June 6, 2009

Leah's Cinnamon Buns








Last year my university went on strike (for the second year in a row!) So while I was on extended vacation from law school, waiting for the professors and the ministry of education to work things out, I decided to start a business. I had my own home bakery- people would place their orders during the week and I would bake challa bread, cookies, and cinnamon buns out of my kitchen on Friday.

The cinnamon buns were a smashing success, especially, to my dismay, amongst my guy friends who liked to call them Leah's buns (*cringe!). After going back to school I didn't have much time for my business, so I stopped- that didn't stop people from asking me to bring desserts for meals every weekend!

Either way, this is a fabulous recipe, and is always a hit.
  • 1 c. warm milk (I always use soymilk)
  • 2 eggs- room temp
  • 1/3 package margarine
  • 4 1/2 c flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 c sugar
  • 2 1/2 tsp instant yeast
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • oil
  • cinnamon
  • brown sugar
Method: mix milk, eggs, and margarine together. Add the flour, salt, sugar, and yeast. Knead, and let rise until double, about one and a half hours. Roll out into a rectangle- spread a tablespoon or two of canola oil onto the dough. Sprinkle on a generous amount of brown sugar until the dough is covered in a layer of sugar, then sprinkle on cinnamon. Roll up jelly roll style, then cut the log into 1-2 inch cinnamon rolls. Place in a greased pan and let rise until double in size, about an hour. Bake at 350- for about twenty minutes.

Once cool, prepare icing:
melt three tablespoons of margarine, mix with 1 Tb. of hot watre, 1 tsp of vanilla and 1 cup of icing sugar- adjust icing sugar till drizzling consistency is reached. Drizzle over the cinnamon rolls, and ENJOY!!!!

3 comments:

  1. They are truly great BUT they are on the other side of the Atlantic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SuperSketchCondo123June 8, 2009 at 11:41 PM

    All i wanna know, is why have the Cinnamon Bun Extravaganza Reunions come to a grinding halt? popular demand dictates that they should be brought back (and preferably before 'certain' individuals pack out of a 'certain' community :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making cinnamon buns, but boy are you ever corageous to make them on demand (they are somewhat time consuming). Yours look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete