Sunday, August 2, 2009

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies







A few months ago I went to an engagement party of a good friend of mine. There were these oatmeal chocolate chip cookies on a plate with other food- now I can pretty much resist the temptation of chocolate chip cookies. But a good oatmeal chocolate chip cookie- the kind that goes perfectly with a cup of strong black coffee... ok pretty much anything goes well with a cup of strong black coffee in my mind.... ah coffee.... sorry, I ran out of coffee this morning, I'm getting a bit distracted.....

Anyways, the cookies were delicious and I had more than my fair share. I asked for the recipe and my friend Rachel graciously supplied it. The cookies were easy to put together. I used about half of the sugar called for in the recipe below, and added only a handful of chocolate chips. Also, I melted the margarine for convenience, although I am sure that this changes the texture of the cookie- one day I'll try an experiment and post the results.

The cookies were great, though not as chewy as I remember them to be. I rolled some of them and some I dropped by teaspoonfuls. I definitely preferred the texture of the rolled cookies over the dropped ones.

Anyways I have to go take a nap- this caffeine-withdrawal is giving me a headache...

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
  • 1 cup raisins or craisins
  • 3/4 cup margarine
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2/3 c all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 3 cups quick cooking oats
  • 6 ounces chocolate chips
  1. preheat oven to 375 degrees
  2. soak raisins in water to cover in a small bowl. let stand 10 minutes, drain
  3. beat margarine until fluffy, gradually add sugars, beating well. add egg, water, vanilla, beating until well blended.
  4. combine flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. add to margarine mixture, beating at low speed until well blended. combine raisins, oats, and chocolate, fold into batter. drop cookies by rounded teaspoonfuls on greased baking sheets.
  5. bake for 10 minutes or until edges are light golden brown.
  6. yield- 6 dozen

1 comment:

  1. wow! so cool that I'm in your blog! the cookies look really terrific.
    I recently made these cookies and substituted all of the margarine with peanut butter (smooth kraft brand). They were a huge success! If you love peanut butter cookies as much as I do - then I definitely suggest you try them!
    can't wait to read what you'll be baking next!
    good luck
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete