Sunday, August 9, 2009

Chewy Ginger Cookies



This weekend I was asked to bring dessert and challah to both my shabbat meals. Being a little less adventurous than my older sister R, whose delicious blueberry-lime mousse pie is sitting happily in my stomach (can I have the recipe, Rivka?), I opted for cookies. Easy to walk over to my very special meals, and easy to consume.

I decided to cut down on the sugar as I'm finding a lot of baking too sweet lately. I also decided NOT to roll the cookies in sugar (snickerdoodle-style) before baking, and it was not missed at all. They're just good cookies.

Big Soft Ginger Cookies

  • 2 1/4 c all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground cloves
  • 3/4 c. butter or margarine
  • 1 c. sugar (scant!)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 c. molasses
  • 2 T sugar (optional)
  1. In a medium bowl combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves. Set aside.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter well. Beat in the one cup sugar. Add egg and molasses; beat well. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture.
  3. Shape dough into 1 1/2 inch balls, using about one heaping tablespoon dough each.
  4. If coating in sugar, roll balls in the two tablespoons of sugar to coat.
  5. Place balls about 2 1/2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
  6. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about ten minutes, por until light brown and puffy. Cool cookies on a cookie rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment