Wednesday, July 22, 2009

One Trick Pony: Rye Bread







My good friend Chavi, whose blog I follow religiously, asked me recently what I was baking. When I told her that I was working on my technique and so would be repeating recipes she told me to watch out or I would become a one trick pony. I suppose there are worse things to be when your one trick is rye bread! I made this rye a few weeks ago and it was a big hit. Big flavour, good texture, and I love rye breads, so I decided to try it again.


Its amazing how much technique really improves the bread- just goes to show that practise makes perfect! I think the main differences from last time are
a) I used an eggwash so I could put more seeds on top- made it nice and shiny
b) stretched and folded throughout the main rise a few times
c) I formed the loaf properly at the end instead of just dividing the dough into two. That really made a difference! I still have a lot to improve as the seams opened on one of them.

Anyways, hope everyone has a fabulous day! I know I will, I'm going off to eat some rye bread. ta ta for now!

2 comments:

  1. I will try this, I promise!
    They're really looking good-- what do you eat them with??

    ReplyDelete
  2. with anything! they were so good!

    ReplyDelete