Monday, January 18, 2010

Welcome Back and Soft Dinner Rolls




Ok, here we go. I haven't posted in a while, and its that time of night again- I'm done studying for the day but I'm not quite ready to go to sleep. Never-ending exams have started again. That means no class, and a wide-open schedule. I have a month and a half of tests to study for and papers to write. Still, right now, things are good and happy and quiet. It's like those few tranquil minutes right after you wake up in the morning- quiet, peaceful- just you and that cup of coffee.... Anyways, I'm getting ahead of myself. Tonight I decided to break my three month blog block., and that perfect song. I found a recipe on Jamie's blog that looked so enticing that I had to make it. I changed it a bit to suit what I had on hand (no buttermilk or cream, or bread flour) and they still turned out great. The original recipe can be found here on her fabulous blog, lifesafeast.


Layla Tov and good night friends. Enjoy the recipe!

Soft Dinner Rolls:
makes 12 rolls

1 lb (500 g) flour
2 T (30 g) sugar
1 ½ tsp salt
1 ½ heaping (6 g) instant yeast
1 cup (250 ml) soured milk (1 T vinegar + enough milk to make one cup. Stir, and wait five minutes before using)
¼ cup (60 ml) plain yoghurt
4 T (60 g) unsalted butter, preferably at room temperature
1 large egg + 1 egg for wash


Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Combine wet ingredients, besides the egg, in a saucepan, and gently heat until the butter melts, stirring. Crack the egg into the dry ingredients, mix slightly, and add the remaining wet ingredients. Mix together until a sticky dough forms. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until dough is smooth and elastic (6-8 minutes).


Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover, and let rise until double in bulk (about one hour). Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Let rest for a few minutes, and then form dough into rolls by rolling the pieces in the palm of your hand. Arrange on baking tray or round cake pan, leaving enough room for the rolls to expand. Cover and let rise again until doubled (about 45 mins). Preheat oven to 325 F/170 C. Brush each roll with the beaten egg, and bake for about twenty minutes until golden.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Leah! Ur back with a post! Those rolls look very good! I so need to get over my fear of yeast!! Till then, plz mail me these rolls along with the pending gingerbread! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah, I've always looked up to your bread baking skills. these dinner rolls love so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hysterical Disha :) i think customs might confiscate them on the way though! And thanks Shaheen! Hope to make the tartlets you have up on your blog soon- they look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pictures of soft dinner rolls look yummy.
    Good luck with your exams and greetings from Germany.

    ReplyDelete