Thursday, January 21, 2010

Apple Cake and Four Months to Go






I’m getting married in four months (yay! let the countdown begin!). I have a dress I need to fit into. Despite this fact, I have recently determined to start blogging again- which does not only include baking and cooking- but eating! Big time. I just can’t help it though…I find these recipes filled with butter and chocolatey amazingness, and flour and brown sugar, and all good things transformed into one delicious dessert and I have to make it! Some would consider this counter-intuitive, but I think, what better way (besides finishing my degree!) to spend the next four months? Right? Right!


The other day I came home and my mom was in the throws of putting together an impromptu dinner for my sisters, brothers-in-law, fiancée, and his brother. While she was throwing stuff into a big pot on the stove while simultaneously chopping up onions and tomatoes she said “I wish we had a cake for dessert!” Well, never fear! Apple cake is here! My mother has had this recipe since seventh grade. It’s on a beat up recipe card in her red recipe box that I’ve known since I was little, and I thought it would be just the thing for dessert. The only problem was that by the time the apple cake was out of the oven sister and brother-in-law #1 went home to put my darling niece to sleep, sister #2 left, sister #3 went out with friends, and awesome fiancée and his brother went to play basketball. Oh well. More cake for me and my mom.


Apple Cake

  • 3 eggs
  • ¾ c. oil
  • 1 c sugar (scant)
  • 1 ½ c flour (sifted)
  • 2 tsp b powder
  • A pinch of salt
  • 3-6 baking apples
  • Rind of 1 orange + juice
  • Cinnamon sugar (1 tsp cinnamon+ 5 tsp sugar)

Beat eggs. Add sugar, and continue to beat. Add oil, orange rind, and juice. Add sifted flour baking powder, and salt. Pour a little less than half the batter into the bottom of a greased square (8 *8) pan. Place sliced apples on batter. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Spread the remaining batter over the apples and cinnamon. Sprinkle the top with a little of the cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake at 350 for one hour, or until baked.


Now excuse me, I have to get back to my breakfast of leftover pizza and cheesecake.

Have a great day!

6 comments:

  1. That looks delicious. I am going to have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mazaltov Leah!! Such lovely news. I've really enjoyed the bits of your blog I've read, and envied the life of baking and living in Tel Aviv... but hey, baking and living in Borehamwood aint so bad! Be in touch, Miriam x

    ReplyDelete
  3. a classic! I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Awesome fiance" delivered mishloach manot today and told me about your blog. I have since read every entry since day 1 and girl, you are pretty awesome yourself!!!
    Your soon-to-be cousin, Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, Lynne! I'm sorry we didn't get the chance to meet the last time I was in Chicago! Thank you so much for all of your thoughtful presents from our engagement and the shower. I hope we can meet soon at the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That apple cake looks amazing. And congratulations!

    ReplyDelete