Friday, June 14, 2013

Vegetarian... Chulent?

Chulent is not so glamorous. I tried to compensate with a glamour shot of my crock pot. See below.

About two years ago I became a vegetarian, and about half a year ago I came up with my perfect combo for a vegetarian chulent. For the uninitiated- chulent is usually a meat stew that is cooked in a large slow pot (or a crockpot). It is made on Friday, and cooks until Saturday, at which point it is eaten for the Sabbath lunch.


Although people are sceptical about making a meatless chulent, I think this is a winner. Try it, let me know what you think. 

Recipe: 
** note- as you can see from the picture, I use a small crockpot. If using a large crockpot, double or triple this recipe. 

2 1/2  tsp oil 
1 onion, cut into chunks 
1/2 sweet potato, cut into chunks
2-3 small red potatoes, cut into quarters 
1/4 c each of barley, dried chickpeas, small white beans 
spices!! liberal amounts of salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, turmeric, and cumin 

Put oil into the bottom of the crockpot. Add remaining ingredients. Add enough water to cover plus half an  inch. Cook on high for 12-17 hours.



1 comment:

  1. So glad you're back! This recipe looks good.

    ReplyDelete